Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny Castle

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Music In Ireland

Here's a link to a post I made last year regarding what music to expect when visiting Dublin As usual I say it the way I see it, but don't get me wrong there are still great sessions to be had once you know where to go and stay away from the tourist areas. There are tourists areas all around Ireland not just Dublin. Nothing wrong with tourist areas I hear you say, and you'd be right, but once they start playing tourist music It's time to stay clear and head to the hills for a good auld sing-song. You know the stuff I'm talking about, the Whiskey In The Jar kind of stuff they lash out to keep the visitors happy, except the visitors probably know more great Irish songs than the couple of lads in the corner ever will know. With the help of Marc and a handful of other contributors we have managed to put together 2,000 folk songs on one site. A large amount one could say, so why the heck with that amount of songs do we still hear the same 20 songs being lashed out to visitors to our country ? I have seen these lads the lenght and breath of Ireland for myself playing the same stuff night after night week after week with bored looks on their faces thinking they represent the kind of music Ireland is supposed to famous for. Well lads it's time you all learned a few new songs, and cheer yourself's up while you are at it.

No comments: